Vashon Island is just a short ride from most of the Puget Sound area. It’s like another world just across the water. Vashon Town is located just five miles south of the north end ferry terminal, which services Fauntleroy (West Seattle) and Southworth (Port Orchard) travelers. The south end ferry dock is a lovely 10-mile drive to town arriving from Pt. Defiance (Tacoma). There are four blinking lights on the Island, and most directions start with “after the second blinking light from your ferry dock, turn…”
Ferry service to Vashon is provided seven days a week by the Washington State Ferries. The crossing from West Seattle leaves from the Fauntleroy ferry dock and takes 20 minutes. Or if you’re coming from Tacoma the route is Pt. Defiance (Tacoma side) / Tahlequah (Vashon side). Schedules can be found here: https://www.wsdot.com/ferries/
Websites, Blogs and More About Vashon
Vashon Chamber of Commerce: The Vashon-Maury Chamber of Commerce cultivates a vital environment for commerce which helps Vashon businesses and organizations prosper, while enriching the unique quality of life for every Islander.
- Vashonevents.org: The most up to date calendar of events taking place on Vashon. Sign up for their newsletter to learn about the newest events on Vashon.
- Vashon Island Wikipedia Page
- Vashon-Maury Time Line: The History of Vashon, done in timeline format.
- Old Man Vashon: Facebook Page about Vashon.
- It Happened on Vashon: Vashon copy gal finds her way out of the thorns…into the roses. The views and anecdotes expressed are based on firsthand experience and may gross you out (or make you laugh).
- Tall Clover Farm: A wonderful blog about life on a Vashon farm by a bulldog-loving, pie-eating, fruit tree-growing Islander named Tom.
Biking to and Around the Island
Bikers are welcome on Vashon! Bikers are loaded with walk-on passengers prior to car loading on all Washington State Ferries. Metro buses on Vashon are all equipped with bike racks. Many businesses in town and around the Island offer bike racks or spaces for bike parking at their facilities. While Vashon has few bike lanes, many roads offer wide and comfortable shoulders. Please note many waterfront roads are unable to offer this accommodation. Bike safely and enjoy!