Title: Director of Dance
Position Status: 0.75 FTE
Effective Date: Upon Hire
Salary range: $45-60K, Commensurate with experience
The Director of Dance is responsible for the overall management and success of the Vashon Center for the Arts (VCA) dance program. The Director of Dance will design and manage a multi-disciplined sequential dance program for youth through pre-professional level. In addition, the Director helps to develop program policies and serves as an ambassador and steward for the enrolled students and their families. The position reports to the Director of the Blue Heron Education Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage all programming
- Hire, train, and evaluate instructors and accompanists
- Teach classes
- Evaluate students, prepare progress reports, and maintain detailed records
- Determine dance level placements with the assistance of instructors.
- Meet with students and parents as needed.
- Collaborate with the executive leadership in establishing policies, calendar, class schedule, and syllabus.
- Produce 2-3 annual seasonal productions, including Nutcracker
- Plan and prepare annual program budget and report monthly budget updates, as needed.
- Provide concise monthly report for the Executive Director’s Board Report with featured updates and highlights
- Serve as a spokesperson for VCA’s dance program.
Qualities in an ideal candidate:
- Experience teaching dance classes at all levels
- Knowledge of ballet pedagogy – from beginning to advanced instruction
- Proven track record of training dancers from a young age and placing them as apprentices, company members, or in dance majors in higher education
- Established contacts in the regional community of schools and companies
- Strong and inspiring presence in the studio with an ability to motivate students to excellence
- Dynamic individual who is goal oriented, adaptable to change, requires minimal supervision, and has excellent communication, collaboration, and problem-solving skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy, ability to organize information and prioritize work in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and monitor an annual program budget
- Experience in team building and working with all levels of staff to accomplish tasks and meet deadlines.
- Excellent work ethic, relationship oriented, and understands how to balance demands of job.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
Education and Experience Preferred:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- 10 + years of dance training with professional experience and/or as a company member in a national or regional dance company
- 5 + years’ experience teaching ballet
- Experience managing a dance program and/or supervising other instructors
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer
Vashon Center for the Arts is an equal employment opportunity employer. Our policy is to make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s race, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, marital status, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all personnel activities including employment, promotion, compensation and termination.
Please submit (1) a cover letter describing your relevant work and life experience and interest in working at Vashon Center for the Arts, (2) a current resume highlighting relevant work experience and (3) three references. Applications should be emailed to employment@VashonCenterfortheArts.org, no later than January 10, 2022. No phone calls please.