Reports to: Director of Finance and Administration
Status: Full Time, Non-Exempt
Vashon Center for the Arts is seeking a dynamic and experienced Accounting Specialist to join its Finance office team in support of the organization’s vibrant mission as a collaborative and community-based arts center. The Accounting Specialist will report directly to the Director of Finance and Administration and work collaboratively with other Finance office staff. The Accounting Specialist will oversee daily financial operations including accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll. Under general supervision, this position applies principles of accounting to record financial information and prepare financial reports. The Accounting Specialist supports the efforts of the Finance Director in all aspects of financial management, accounting, planning, and budgeting and external audit/review preparation.
Accounting Specialist Responsibilities
• Manage accounts payable and accounts receivable
• Work collaboratively with payroll and human resources
• Process incoming payments by check, credit card and EFT
• Receive, process and reconcile statements
• Generate and review monthly reports
• Prepare and complete bank deposits
• Assist with research and prepare reports for grant applications
• Assist with preparation for annual audits
• Ensure compliance with internal accounting procedures
• Maintain accurate records, including ledgers, journals, receipts and invoices
• Perform administrative and other tasks as needed
• 1-3 years of general accounting experience
• 1-3 years of experience working with payroll, accounts receivable, and accounts payable
• Associates degree in accounting or related field
• Understanding of GAAP accounting principles
• Strong knowledge of QuickBooks, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Outlook
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent attention to detail and accuracy in entering financial data
• Outstanding math and research skills
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Proficiency with 10-key typing and data entry
• Deadline-driven with excellent time management ability
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field
• Experience with ADP (online payroll, HR & tax services)
• Accounting experience in the non-profit sector
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer
Vashon Center for the Arts is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This is a full-time, salaried exempt position. Salary will be commensurate with experience. VCA provides paid time off and holiday pay. This position is eligible to participate in the group health and dental plan.
Please submit (1) a cover letter describing your relevant work and life experience and interest in working at Vashon Center for the Arts, (2) a current resume highlighting relevant work experience and (3) three references. Applications should be emailed to employment@VashonCenterfortheArts.org, no later than February 26, 2021. No phone calls please.