Welcome to Art Journaling with island artist Alisara Martin, sponsored by Vashon Artists in Schools! We’re so glad you’re here!
In the materials kit you should have:
- A glue stick
- A paint brush
- An ink pen
- 2 pieces of 5 inch by 7 inch pieces of white “backerboard” (this is the smallest paper)
- 2 pieces of 9 inch by 12 inch drawing paper (this is the medium sized paper)
- 2 pieces of 11 inch by 17 inch cardstock (this is the largest paper)
- A small container of tempera paint in the following colors: Red Yellow Blue Green Violet White
Optional materials from home:
- Scrap paper for mixing colors on
- A small container of water to wash your brush
- A paper towel, old cloth or rag to dry your brush with
Check out the awesome videos from Alisara below. Have fun!
Video 1 – Introduction and Materials
- You might get messy. Dress for mess and for going outside if you can.
- Keep your screen safe. No matter the device you are using, keep it away from paint, water, and messy hands.
- Work at your own pace. Take your time to create work that you are proud of, that challenges you, and inspires you to make more.
- Have Fun! Making art can give you all the feelings. Be kind to yourself and curious about how your experiments turn out.
- Clean up when you are done. Clean up after yourself so you can get messy again the next time. Make sure to have a place where you can wash your hands and painty supplies.
Video 2 – Creating the Book Block
Video 3 – Glue Your Folded Pages Together
Video 4 – Cut and Paint Covers for Book
Video 5 – Glue Cover Art to Cardboard
Video 6 – Glue Hard Covers to Book Block
Video 7 – Color Theory for Beginners
Video 8 – Color Theory for Intermediate Level
Video 9 – Color Party!
Video 10 – Boba Tea Menu
Video 11 – Collect Some Leaves and Print
Video 12 – Favorite Word Collage, part 1
Video 13 – Favorite Word Collage, part 2
Video 14 – How Do You Feel?
For more information about how to get involved with VAIS, please contact us at email@example.com.
Vashon Artists in Schools (VAIS) is a Vashon Center for the Arts program in partnership with Vashon Island School District. Additional and generous support is provided by Washington State Arts Commission, Vashon Partners in Education (PIE), Vashon Thriftway, Vashon Island Community PTSA, and individual donors.